Thursday, July 25, 2013

Vintage Receipt Holder

Hello Everybody!

The past few nights I have been busy working on a project for my local scrapbook store.  The owner of the store said I have a challenge for you.  (You know I perked up at the word challenge!)  She said if you get one of these receipt holders and decorate, I will put it up in the store.  Eek!  That's cool!  My work on display!

So I bought one.  Now I haven't made one of these before.  And truthfully it hung on the door to my scrapbook room for like 2 months.  LOL!  And then she asked me about it the other day.  So I decided it was time to take it out of the package and just go for it!



So here it is.  The next picture is a little more close up.  Then I took a pictures of a few frames at a time.  I am submitting this wall hanging to the following challenges at Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenges: Anything But a Card and Great Impressions: Anything Goes.




Here is the first and second frame.  I used an assortment of things!  Most of the paper is from Tim Holtz and 7 Gypsies.  On 2 of the frames I made the backgrounds.  The colorful Toy Story is a label from one of my son's pj's.  He doesn't like those tags-so instead of throwing it away I kept it.  One the 2nd frame I used a film strip transparency from Tattered Angels.


The 3rd frame here is all Tim Holtz except for a sticker ticket that was from Paper Studio (hobby lobby).  The 4th frame has a variety of stickers.  The butterfly is from the TH die that has the bunny on it.  I covered it in Crackle Rock Candy and used worn lipstick and sage to color it.  I used white and pink pearls for the body.


Awe, here's one of our cats Marshall.  All TH except the birds on the wire washi tape-that Recollections.  You can use rub-ons on the flat metal piece.  On the 6th frame I used distress stain and ink for the background.  I used one of TH stamps and walnut stain to decorate it.  That is sorta covered up by the TH button and gears and the Maya Road burlap flower.  But I had to use that flower!


Frames 7 and 8 both have 7 Gypsies paper.  The you are my favoite is a Unity Stamp/Echo Park.  The rest is Tim Holtz.  Except for the Monopoly Hotel-that was a found item :)


This is the last row.  That map paper is 7 Gypsies.  The rest is Tim Holtz.  The compass coin, brad, and arrows are painted with salty ocean, moss, and broken china distress paint to create the patina effect.  You can see part of Frame 10 here.  (I don't know why I divided it like I did).  That paper is actually a scrap from Recollections.  The bulb, washi tape piece, and rub-on all Tim Holtz.


Now the metal piece on Frame 11 here is painted with salty ocean and green moss distress paint.  The mustache is from Kaiser, and I stained it with Distress Stain walnut stain.  I used brass distress paint around the background of frame 11.  The clip, rub-on, and most of the tissue tape are TH, the musical notes washi tape is Recollections. 

The last frame is an embossed cardstock.  I inked the raised edges.  Tim's embossing folder.  Tim's cash key and ticket.  The twine is from Martha Stewart.  And Treasure the Moment is a vellum quote from DCWV.  I heard vellum was coming back.  Good because I have a lot left over from the first go around ;)  (hehe).  And then there is the little canvas bag that is hanging from a brad with a loop.  Again Mr. H's.  :)


Now let me tell you about this cute little canvas bag.  My hubby bought them for me for my birthday.  I love when he buys me stuff because he goes all over the craft store looking for stuff he hasn't seen me use.  

So I took this little bag and stained it with walnut stain distress stain.  I did this lightly.  Then I used a chevron stencil from Heidi Swapp and fiber paste.  Awesome!  Here's a tip-put a piece of cardboard in your bag so that if you use something that leaks through, your bag doesn't ruin.

Then I made a flower with Tim Holtz tissue tape.  I added a gear from the jewelry section of the craft store (my hubby's purchase-thank you) and used the brass distress paint to make it not so shiny.  Then I sprayed perfect pearls gold on the game piece.  I colored the cork heart on the pin.  It is from Little Yellow Bicycle.  And tied a piece of brown ric rac on it.  Then I stuck it through the bag making sure I would't prick myself later.

I used a Core'dinations cardstock and embossed and cut out the admit ticket.  Then I used sandpaper to show the color underneath.  It fits perfectly into the little bag!

Whew!  It was a totally fun project to do!  I usually have projects done within a day or two so it's cool to see a project that has more time invested in it.  But I do like when they are done because I can't work on anything else until the big thing is done.  :) LOL

Thanks for stopping by!  Until next time my friends....what is a challenge you are needing to be creative with?


8 comments:

Barbara Bruder said...

Katy, What a fabulous project!!!Love all the different areas and all the various items you used.Thanks for joining us at the Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenge this month. Hugs, Barbara { personal blog - Art and Soul Creations}

Tincan Crafter said...

Katy - thank you for leaving such a cool message on my blog. I didnt know about the Rust Steampunk Challenge and I am grateful that you told me about it - it sounds like fun. I am going to have see if I can whip something up. I love this wall hanging that you have done here. What an amazingly creative idea and so pretty too. Good luck with your submission, I am sure that it deserves a win!

Jenny Marples said...

What a fantastic project Katy! Love the eclectic mix of papers and ephemera you've used - it's one of those pieces that you stand and stare at for hours so you can drink in all the little details. Time and energy well invested here, and I hope it takes pride of place at the store. Hugs, Jenny x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous!! LOVING all the goodies you added!!

Tincan Crafter said...

Hi Katy - I didnt get a chance to enter/create rusty goodness this weekend but I did recommend that someone else (Sue Morris) enter and I sent her the link you sent me. She was so appreciative but I cant take any credit for it - it was you who suggested it in the first place - so just wanted to come by and tell you that you started a positive little chain reaction by sending me that link. Hugs Candice

Sparkly Engineer said...

Freakin' Awesome project. It totally rocks!

Mary Anne, Great Impressions DT

April said...

Great hanging! I love all the wonderful photos and items on it. Great job! Thanks for joining us at the SNS challenge.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Hey this is so cool!!! I've never seen this type of hanging before - really like it!! :D